Beware the Boomerang and the Switcheroo?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photogopinion Regular Member • Posts: 110
Beware the Boomerang and the Switcheroo?

I’ve ling been sceptical of people who say ‘I’m switching from A to Z’ and particularly those who post videos about it. All is often not what it seems.

I’ve just spotted one. A Youtuber giving up ‘Brand A’ for ‘Brand B’. One of his major complaints was that ‘Brand A’ initially refused to service his camera. And that was unreasonable as he’d paid for pro services. (Apparently they did in the end at his insistence, but refused to give any guarantee, which he also found upsetting.)

But tucked away in an aside that only lasted a couple of seconds in the video was the real reason Brand A was so reluctant:  signs of corrosion. You only need to take a quick look at the LensRentals blog to find out why camera companies’ engineers shy away in fright at any sign of that. I suspect ‘Brand B’ would be no different.

Does, or should, anyone take these people with anything other than a large amount of salt? (Excepting those Youtubers —we know who you are!—who are pretty evidently angling for freebies—or at least review samples—from Brand A, B, or Z?)

From a photographer who has no intention of switching and having to spend thousands on  replacing my ‘Brand A’ with ‘Brand B’. Unless my cameras die or it all gets nicked—which was the reason I did switch once. I find it hard to believe a lot of commenters who claim to be about to do that too. Or am I the only poor photographer? And I’m not revealing what ‘Brand A’ or ‘Brand B’ are.

photogopinion's gear list:photogopinion's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 20mm F2.8 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow