New to Canon M--a few questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,566
Re: Canon M + 28mm + 11-22mm

mandodon wrote:

Just ordered a refurbished M50 II with the 15-45 lens during the cyber Monday sale. A few questions for you experienced Canon M users.

1. How long does it take for Canon to ship?

Right now Canon have been dealing with logistics issues due to problems with international shipping.  It's hard to say but would depend on availability (which Canon can determine for you) plus your location.  The EOS M50 II is a good camera with pretty much everything you need.  It also has the DPAF sensor which makes a difference with AF performance and even the use of longer lenses.

2. Is the 18-55 lens any better than the 15-45?

I suspect it might be but the 15-45 is a popular kit-lens and costs a bit less to produce.  In the past there have been some questions raised about image quality but Canon seems to have improved QC and I think this lens was subject to a redesign quite a few years ago.  There is a difference between different lenses, even with startup times.

3. Anyone use the 28 macro as your main lens for everyday shooting?

I have used this numerous times for everyday shooting. The EF-M 28mm Macro lens is a sharp lens that offers some decent landscape and city-scape capability. Obviously it's famous for being a small Macro lens but note that this is a wide-angle Macro which produces a degree of scenic and subject distortion when up close, though nothing quite as warped as the images from an iPhone's wide-angle Macro. The look is quite unique and the lens is very handy. I find myself switching to a brighter lens after sunset though. At f/3.5, the aperture gets a little dim in low light if shooting without a flash or handheld. Bokeh is also nice when shooting closeup subjects.
I often pair both the EF-M 28mm Macro and the EF-M 11-22mm lens with the bright and affordable EF-M 22mm f/2 lens for shooting in low light but more recently I prefer the super-bright EF-M 32mm f/1.4 lens which also has a very good closeup ability. Note that the EF-M 28mm Macro lens has an adjustable "Right Light" on the front of the lens and comes with a filter adapter ring. The included Filter Adapter takes the same 43mm diameter filter that several other lenses also accept... including the EF-M 32m lens and the EF-M 22mm lens.  The 28mm focal length equates to around 45mm when on an APS-C sensor so this means very low distortion for landscapes and that means you can more easily merge images to create panoramas.    There's no obvious sky banding when using this lens with a Circular Polarizer due to the field of view.

EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro lens

EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro lens - this Harlequin Bug is around 10-12mm in size.

EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro lens - (vertical 2-shot panorama)

4. Seems like the 11-22 zoom has a great reputation for sharpness. Is it a huge improvement over the 15-45?

The EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 lens is very sharp. It's sharp across the image and it produces really lovely results with less distortion for portraits when zoomed out to 22mm. Whilst the bokeh is quite subtle from this lens, at 22mm there's some background defocus that helps separate the subject from the background. The way this lens handles light is excellent, despite the relatively narrow aperture. Color rendition is good. At 11mm this lens can produce sky-banding when a Circular Polarizer is used but when you zoom out to 22mm it disappears. This is common with wide angle lenses, even the most expensive varieties.  You can mask the banding by framing clouds in the sky or turn the 55mm filter to a more neutral position to avoid banding from occurring.
The general opinion is that this lens produces 'L-series' results. It's small and lightweight and can be used as a walk-about lens, especially with travel. The optional lens hood is useful for protecting this lens if you don't like using filters.  And double stacking filters on top of each other WILL produce hard corner vignetting with this lens.  Thin profile filters are the way to go with this lens.

EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 lens

5. Is there an adapter for Fuji XF lenses to Canon M mount?

No idea but there's a few Fuji users here who might be able to answer this.  I am not aware of such an adapter.

I'm retired and on a budget so trying to figure out what to get. Moving out of the Fuji system--not a pro and don't need that much money tied up in photography equipment.

I use both Canon DSLRs and not the EOS R system cameras alongside the EOS M system.  If I was to start out again from scratch, I'd likely just buy an EOS M camera with a handful of lenses.

Thanks for your help--I've been reading a bunch of threads in the Canon M forum.

One thing worth mentioning here is that Canon appear to have ignored the EOS M system in favor of their much more expensive EOS R system.  For this reason, we're unsure if Canon will continue to release new EF-M lenses or M-system cameras, something that hasn't happened in a while now.  But Canon did state (earlier this year) that they make a lot of money from EOS M sales and that they would "continue to support the EOS M system".  That's all we have to go on at the moment.
For their price and size, the EOS M cameras are capable of taking exactly the same image quality as a decent DSLR camera.  And don't forget that you can mount just about any EF mount lens to the EOS M camera bodies.  This enables you to use perhaps a hundred or more lenses via a Canon lens adapter.  When I bought my EOS M I didn't even buy any native lenses for it but used EF lenses instead.  But the smaller, lighter sizes of the EF-M lenses make this camera system a pleasure to use. 
For your Consideration...
For quite a few EOS M users, the recent EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens is perhaps one of the most popular - and is worth your consideration.  Priced slightly higher than the other EF-M lenses, it's absurdly sharp (one of Canon's sharpest lenses) and offers a very decent closeup focus capability.  The Bokeh from that lens is also very nice and quite bold.  You can usually fit an alternative lens hood to it without using the OEM hood which is large and perhaps a little overpriced.  This lens is bright enough to be used handheld in very dark locations.  I often handhold this lens at night without a flash.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow