D2H - 1st Impressions

Started Nov 15, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carol Steele Senior Member • Posts: 1,363
D2H - 1st Impressions

Well the camera is a joy to use, absolutely instantaneous response and the colour is great straight from the camera. The LCD screen on the back of the camera is awesome and it sounds like a machine gun going off such is the speed. I must remember to switch to single shot mode because it is just so easy to fire off a whole round of shots - a hair trigger if ever there is such a beast on a camera.

The menu system is extremely easy to navigate and set up all the options on the clear screen - and because the lens mount/viewfinder has been offset to the left, your nose no longer presses up on the LCD screen each and every time you use it. Images are rotated in NikonView, Capture and Adobe ACR2 - and doesn't rely on using the shutter on the bottom of the hand grip (so it must be a kind of mercury switch which activates this) - although this can be turned off in the menu options if you don't want it.

Nikon Capture 4 has some very worthwhile features including a spot remover and Digital DEE (which is a bit like the Shadow/Highlight recovery tool in Photoshop CS, although I suspect that as it works with the RAW file data, it is a lot better). Ay last, it is properly dual monitor aware, unlike the previous versions which would allow only one set of pallete on the second monitor and these were always tight up on the LH edge of the screen and protruded a small distance onto the right hand side of the main monitor. A bit like a young child not wanting to let go of mommy's hand that first day at school.

Speed of NC4 is below par on the Windows platform - but I suspect that the 30 day trial version which shipped with the camera is really a beta and needs some code optimisation - but they didn't want to delay the release of the camera just because of this.

Image Quality:

Personally, I am seeing a similar (if not greater) amount of noise to the D1X when shot at the equivalent ISO. I have uploaded a composite comparisons shot done in the studio at various ISO's. The D2H images were resized in Capture to give the equivalent size to the D1X images

What is gratifying though is that the detail in the images would appear to be greater than an image shot on the D1X. Although bot were shot using the same settings, the D1X image had to be sharpened considerably more in Nikon Capture to bring out the same sharpness in both - but the D2H image still looks better.

D1X image @ 800 ISO ( 1/8th sec @f5.6 hand held) - Sharpened in NC4 to give the same appearance as the D2H image

D2H image at same settings - enlarged in NC4 to D1X size (although not further shapened in NC4)

However, a major plus is that you seem to be able to enlarge the images far more and with better results than with the D1X.
--
Carol

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cjk
mce
mce
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow