100-400 Z for astro anyone?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP BasilG Forum Pro • Posts: 10,043
Re: 100-400 Z for astro anyone?

Ernie Misner wrote:

BasilG wrote:

Randy_A wrote:

BasilG wrote:

Giving this one a bump to see if anyone has tried it in the mean time.

I have in bits. But mostly lunar shots and a few pics of Jupiter and its moons. But I plan to do more this winter - especially as Orion gets higher later in the night sky where I live.

Thanks! Yes, I am thinking mostly about deep space objects like nebulae where rendering of point light sources is critical. Please keep us posted.

Being a 4x zoom, just a guess, but a high quality prime lens could offer better coma for stars and corner sharpness. I'm interested in this too and will be watching for more replies. Thanks for the interesting question about the 100-400. Do you already have a tracker? I have seen nice results with the 500PF lens for deep space.

Yes, I have a tracker and am currently looking for a multi-purpose telephoto for some of the imaging. I have the 100-400, 400/4.5, and 500 PF on the shortlist. It is clear that the 400/4.5 would probably be best for astro (prime and no PF), but if the 100-400 is close enough, it would be great because it could additionally serve as a general purpose telephoto and even for some telephoto macro work. The 500 PF should be pretty good too, yes. There are a few good examples, and I've seen one or two where the PF element reared its head with "very bright" (relatively speaking) light sources in the image.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow