Triggering PocketWizards on Z9 - The Raven Fusion

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 19,527
Triggering PocketWizards on Z9 - The Raven Fusion

Thanksgiving week I tried setting up three strobes on PocketWizard FlexTT5's and triggering them with a MiniTT1 mounted on a Z9.

That didn't work. I quickly reverted to my D850, which had been working for years.

I looked for help on the PW web site and saw they have basically nothing compatible with the Z9.

Except the Raven Fusion, a $400 replacement for the MiniTT1 and AC3 zone power adjuster.   I ordered one, and it arrived yesterday.

It was not straightforward to set up without going online for the manual.  (Didn't come with a manual).   Also didn't come with a USB cable the website said came with it.

Why the cable?  To charge the built-in 2500 Mah battery.  (Takes 3 hours.)  OK, got a cable and got the battery charged.

Then, I set up the Wifi.  (Wifi?  What?)  It used wifi to connect to the internet and update its own firmware.  I went into that menu section (cloud icon), and sure enough, it downloaded and applied a firmware update.

Initially it would not trigger my PW's.  Turned out you have to select a channel (I used channel 8 because it showed the least noise) and apply that channel in firmware on the FlexTT5's using the PW App.    Once I did that - along with paid $$ firmware update E - the Raven sets the power and triggers the strobes just fine.  I'm a happy camper.

The Raven has 4 zones, and it will trigger a variety of strobes, not just PocketWizards.

PocketWizard, Alien Bee/Paul C Buff. Prophoto and GoDox, are options, and you can mix two of those at the same time.

The Raven has a touch screen, and to use it you need to swipe up or down to change menus, and sometimes left or right for an option.   There is a control ring you can rotate to change menus as well.  That and a few buttons.

You need the Nikon version to work on Nikon cameras.  There is a Canon version as well.

You can also remote trigger cameras with the Raven, though I haven't tried that.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow