2-min video of trip to Ameland island, Netherlands or why you should shoot video on your next outing

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Samuel Dilworth
Samuel Dilworth Senior Member • Posts: 1,312
2-min video of trip to Ameland island, Netherlands or why you should shoot video on your next outing

https://youtu.be/rbiwNdfZk1k

Recently my family (me, wife, toddler) spent a long weekend on Ameland, NL, an island of mainly sand dunes in the North Sea.

The weather in November was as you’d imagine: horizontal rain with a wind chill factor of minus a million or so.

All the same, the place looked great in these conditions.

I took my (weather-sealed!) Olympus E-M5 Mark III and three lenses, only two of which I used for all the shots in this video: the 12–40 mm f/2.8 (most shots) and the 25 mm f/1.2 (mainly the indoor aquarium shots). Outdoor shots used a 3-stop ND filter to keep the shutter speed low for motion blur.

I then mangled the resulting video clips in DaVinci Resolve + FilmConvert Nitrate (a plugin that fakes a film look, though YouTube compression ripped out most of the grain emulation, so who knows where that leaves me).

Feedback most welcome, but I’d also like to encourage you to take a few video clips with your own camera. They’re amazingly capable video cameras now. And as a photographer, you’re halfway knowledgeable about video – 24 photos a second – anyway. (You’ll notice I didn’t attempt to record sound here, because that gets much trickier.) Give it a go.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow