Purchased EN-EL15C batteries, questions regarding charging

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
starbase218 Senior Member • Posts: 1,165
Purchased EN-EL15C batteries, questions regarding charging

I just got home today from a relatively short trip in Malaysia. Towards the end I decided to pay a visit to Kuala Lumpur, and specifically, the tech mall Plaza Low Yat, where I bought 2 brand new EN-EL15C batteries from a Nikon authorised reseller. Upon trying the batteries (after I bought them), they turned out to be empty (my D750 gave no sign of life on either of them), so I decided to charge them at home instead (I wasn't too worried).

So I had them in my Baxxtar USB-C charger that I ordered from Amazon a few years back. I thought this charger would be compatible since the current Amazon listing says that it is. However, upon closer inspection, my Amazon order confirmation email actually lists it to be compatible with the regular EN-EL15, the EN-EL15A and the EN-EL15B. Which might explain why, after a number of hours, the indicated battery level on the charger was still 0 out of 4 bars.

So I took out both batteries and decided to charge one in my MH-25A instead. According to Nikon, this should be compatible. After it having been in there for at least a hour, the MH-25A LED was still blinking. So I decided to take it out and see if it was at least partially charged. To my (positive) surprise, my D750 indicated full power level. And reinserting it into the Baxxtar also indicates full power (4 out of 4 bars). I guess the MH-25A might have been about to stop charging at the time I took the battery out.

I then decided to put the other EN-EL15C (which had only been in the Baxxtar) in my D750. It only showed a single bar of power. I have now put this second EN-EL15C in my MH-25A. I guess I will wait at least 2 hours and check if the LED will light continuously.

Although I think it's probably a very low chance, I hope I haven't potentially damaged the batteries by putting them in a charger that might indeed not be compatible. If anyone knows this, it would be appreciated. Also, if anyone can confirm that the USB charger I used is not compatible with the EN-EL15C, that would be appreciated as well. At least, I assume the strange charging behaviour is not because it's still a new battery and needs some kind of forming charge first(?)

Thanks you.

starbase218's gear list:starbase218's gear list
Sony RX100 V Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +7 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow