The lure of very fast lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brian Chichester
Brian Chichester Senior Member • Posts: 1,048
The lure of very fast lenses

I noticed a plug on DPReview recently for a manual focus f0.95 lens, of course at a premium price relative to "normal" fast primes..

Now, I get what these lenses do (though attaining manual focus at f0.95 is probably tricky). But unless you shoot them wide open all the time, you are carrying a lot of redundant, expensive glass. And in normal conditions you may need special measures (e.g. ND filter, very high shutter speed) to get your exposure. OK, maybe these are low-light lenses and they never come out in the full light of day.

Back in the day, I had a nifty fifty for my SLR, it was f1.7, and I thought it was a fast lens: and I was using film stock of 400ASA or less.

So I'd welcome some accounts from people who own these lenses - what are they good for, do they always shoot wide open, etc.

Brian Chichester's gear list:Brian Chichester's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 NEX-5T Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow