EOS R5 EVF unusable in low light

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Laqup Regular Member • Posts: 280
EOS R5 EVF unusable in low light

Hi folks,

during the black weeks I found a good offer for the EOS R5 and went for it.

Don't get me wrong, overall it's a great camera but there is one thing that is super disappointing: The much praised EVF is next to unusable when panning in low light, even with shutter speeds above 1/120s and a fixed ISO value and even while panning slowly. There is a lot of tearing, ghosting and stuttering going on which is mindboggling for a 4k$/€ camera. The LCD on the other hand looks fine.. Anti Flicker is off, EFC, AF mode does not matter, IBIS on/off does not matter, Auto ISO or fixed IOS does not matter, AV with Min Shutter Speed <=1/125 or TV with Shutter Speed <=1/125, RF 28-70 f2.

I have the direct comparison of an EOS R, a Nikon Z6 and a Nikon Z7 and neither of those cameras have those issues. User experience is much better under those conditions with those cameras..

I found a few threads here describing the same issue: 1 , 2, 3 .

The only solution is to enable Smooth Display Performance in combination with "supress lower frame rate". With those settings enabled it looks actually smooth, but as detailed in thread #3 above Canon does not want you to use this mode due to:

• Faster battery consumption
• Fewer shots available
• Lower image display brightness
• Difficulty in autofocusing
• Lower metering precision
• Lower flicker detection precision
• Lower subject detection precision

Now I am a bit curious:

- How do you deal with that behavior? Has anyone discovered any additional "magic" settings/parameters that affect this issue?

- Is it the same with the R6/R6 II?

- Has anyone systematically tested the downsides of "supress lower frame rate"? (espc. Lower subject detection / AF precision)

- How is it possible that such a blatant performance degradation is not mentioned in any review?

To me this is a joke, especially when considering that this effect even takes place when forcing the camera to utilize shutter speeds above 1/120s.. HOW can there be any "slower frame rate" that has to be supressed if I manually select parameters that should circumvent that? Seems to be kind of a bad joke by Canon..

Thanks in advance & best regards.

Laqup's gear list:Laqup's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Canon EOS R +37 more
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow