who else is tired of the same?

Started Dec 2, 2022 | Discussions thread
Djehuty Senior Member • Posts: 1,139
Re: Sort of

jeffnles1 wrote:

Djehuty wrote:

I mean BMP4k,6k, Panasonic S1,S5 all have terrible rolling shutter, didn't stop them from being decent cine cams. None of them seems to want to mention the 4k120 in Z9,A1,R5 are all lineskipped.

As for stills, I rarely find a scenario where mechanical shutter didn't do the job, animals typicall don't care or can't hear your shutter from distance away.

I shoot a D500. On rare occasion the animals will notice the shutter clicks. I've had deer look up and back in my direction when I fire off a burst of shots. By burst, I mean 3 to 4 shots. I rarely shoot more than short bursts like that.

Where the shutter click does come to play is when my wife is next to me shooting video and I'm shooting stills. The mirror slap from the D500 is clearly audible in her video. A camera wth electronic shutter would be much appreciated in those circumstances. We are wildlife/nature photographers. For portraits or landscapes I doubt if mechanical vs electronic really makes much if any difference.

Given that I do not currently own a mirrorless camera, I am "uniquely unqualified" to comment on rolling shutter in electronic shutter mode. From what I understand in talking with friends who use mirrorless cameras (sony and canon) it is not an issue when in mechanical shutter mode only in electronic mode and then only under certain circumstances.

Jeff

mirrorless aren’t as loud, I agree that ES is better here but where it is a problem is on fast moving subjects where the shutter noise isn’t an issue. The specific scenario i can think of is a funeral.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow