R7 IBIS quite loud with EF 200mm f/2.8 L

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jstanley0 New Member • Posts: 11
R7 IBIS quite loud with EF 200mm f/2.8 L

I was taking pictures of my cat with the RF 50mm f/1.8 and my new R7 under dim indoor lights and noticing 1/100 shots were showing camera shake. I was disappointed the IBIS wasn't handling it--before realizing the IBIS was turned off. So I found the menu item and turned it on. Voila! Night and day difference zoomed in 10x in the viewfinder. Consistent sharp results at 1/40 (when the cat was holding still anyway).

It's a good thing the menu item is irrelevant when an IS lens is connected, because it means my shots with the RF 85 and RF 100-400 were being stabilized regardless.

Anyhow, I decided to see if IBIS could help with my EF 200mm f/2.8 L (a non-stabilized lens from the film era). Turns out it does! Not nearly as well as the in-lens stabilization of my 100-400 of course, but still a noticeably smoother view than with IBIS off. The thing that surprised me, though, is the sound it makes. I might hear the barest whisper when IBIS is stabilizing my 50mm f/1.8, but with the 200mm lens connected I hear a noticeable whir. It reminds me of the IS in old EF lenses like the 70-300 mark I.

If I change the "Still photo IS" setting from "Always" to "Only for shot" the noise goes away, at the expense of viewfinder stability (also I feel like the resulting images aren't quite as good, but this could be insufficient data).

jstanley0's gear list:jstanley0's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Samyang 24mm F1.4 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +3 more
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow