Nikon Z 1st Time in Studio | Any Advice?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tvstaff
tvstaff Veteran Member • Posts: 3,234
Nikon Z 1st Time in Studio | Any Advice?

High all, On Sat. I'll be taking the Z9 on my first Fashion Studio shoot in a tent at Art Basel. Because of the size of the Tent, I'll only be bringing a Z f/2.8 24-70 and a Z f/2.8 70-200. I believe the 24-70 will be used most.

I'm looking for hints, knowledge and experience from others who have used the Z9 in studio. Please share!!

LIGHTS:
(3) Godox AD600Pro's

GRIP:
(1) Manfrotto 025BS Super Boom with 008BU Stand
(2) Neewer C-Stand with Casters and Boom Arm (10')

MODIFIERS:
(1) Profoto Deep White, 65"
(2) Profoto Deep Silver Umbrellas 51"
(1) Deep Diffusion Umbrella - White, 43"
(2) 80" V Flats in B&W
(3) Various floor reflectors

The Z9 is new to me and I've used it for NYFW and Miami Swim, but never in a Studio like setting where I'm controlling the light vs. the Fashion Runway venue which is usually at 3000 to 3200K.

Because of the small space of the tent I could end up with a single umbrella shoot. I won't know until I get there as to where I can place the models and if I can move any art work. A lot of white walls!!  I'm probably putting too much gear in the car, but I need to be prepared no matter what.

Has anyone out there used the Z9 with strobes? Any hints on how the Z9 likes to play? I've setup a bit in my garage but I don't have the white walls nor the models in my garage, my wife would question that Isyour exp more towards center weighted with the Z9? All my shooting will be RAW. With all the bright objects in the room and white walls, any advice on what the Z9 prefers for optimal exposure if my models are moving and I need to get the artwork too.

I'm open to any and all advice. I'm a bit nervous as I've shot Canon for the past 13 years but the resolution and focus on the Z9 are hands down above my 1DXMKII & III.  I'm bringing a Canon 1DXMKII as a back-up in case I start vomiting and rolling on the floor as I chimp shots <ROFL>

If it's even the most minute setting or advice please share. I'm sure I'll be up for the next two nights until I get everything perfect, even if it's just a one umbrella shoot. Oh.... My models are all about 6' tall.

Thank you ever so much, Tony    

Nikon Z9 with Z 70-200

-- hide signature --

Fashion, Fashion BTS, Fashion Editorial, Sports, Athlete Portrature, Editorial and Creative Portraits are my world. Shoot Canon, Nikon & Fuji. https://www.kissmykite.com/nyfw-photographers-tony-filson

tvstaff's gear list:tvstaff's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Fujifilm GFX 100S Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM +28 more
Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow