XF70-300 v XF100-400 AF speed and stickiness

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Xshooter Contributing Member • Posts: 600
XF70-300 v XF100-400 AF speed and stickiness

Hi I only received my X-H2S yesterday, I hope to try it out properly next week attempting to photo fast jets flying down valleys at 500mph. It’s hard to do but a thrill. My question relates to the zoom lens I should use. I’m fortunate that I have the older XF100-400 heavy beast of a lens and the lighter newer XF70-300. [I will only keep one of these lenses in the longterm].

I have arthritis in shoulders and hands but as the jets only last a few seconds before they are long gone, I can just about manage the heft and weight of the XF 100-400, but I’m thinking for accurate easier fast panning motion, I could definitely hold the lighter XF70-300 in a better manner for panning.
So - is there much of a difference in the focus acquisition time and subject tracking (stickiness of AF-C on the subject) ability between these two lenses? I won’t necessarily be using the full 400mm focal length. 300mm should he enough, so I’m wondering if there’s another reason for me to carry the heavier lens, when the lighter might suffice. As for aperture, f5.6 or f8 should be suitable to get the whole military jet in focus. Thanks for advice.

Xshooter's gear list:Xshooter's gear list
Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow