OM-1 Focus Bracketing Field Cheat Sheet

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LeanderTexas New Member • Posts: 2
OM-1 Focus Bracketing Field Cheat Sheet

For close-up and macro images using OM-1 and 60mm 2.8 lens. The way I approach focus bracketing in the field is to compose a shot (I'm usually on a tripod for macro flower pictures), determine the magnification, decide what f-stop to use (based on what I want in focus and what I don't), then look up what focus differential to use and the number of frames on my cheat sheet based on a guesstimate on how deep I want the stack. It sounds like a lot of moving parts and calculations but if the focus step and focus differentials are calculated beforehand, I've created a simple-to-use cheat sheet for the field. I did this for my Nikon D850 with 100mm macro. I'm in the middle of creating one for the OM-1 and 60mm. It takes a long time so if someone has already done this, please tell me now so I don't waste a lot of time. This is what my Nikon cheat sheet looks like.

In the field I frame my shot and compare the view in the viewfinder with the field of view on my cheat sheet (it is to scale).  Then I decide what f-stop to use based on what I estimate I want in focus and what I don't.  If the subject is well isolated from the background I might use f11, if not, I would open it up to 5.6.  Then I just use the cheat sheet for that field of view to set the focus differential and the number of frames to shoot.  In the field this takes 10 seconds or less.  No heavy computing or wasted time (I already did the laborious testing in my studio with a mm ruler).  If you stare at the cheat sheet for a few minutes it should become clear.

So my question is, has anyone already done this for the OM-1 and 60mm lens?

If not, I'll keep working on a cheat sheet for the OM-1.

Just for the record, Nikon also did not provide any information on how they calculate focus differential steps.  I just did some math and took hundreds of measurements to determine the best focus differentials, step overlap and total number of frames to capture 1cm in focus.  If I want 2cm in focus I double the number of frames, etc.

Bruce

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow