TTL Flash

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Merlin5 Senior Member • Posts: 3,131
TTL Flash

Hi guys. I've been practising street photography with my new off camera flash since I received it a few days ago. Its going ok but I'm not always setting the flash power correctly so sometimes it's too bright or not bright enough. I like to use it in daytime too and I've found 1/32, 1/16 or 1/8 power seem to be generally about right to make my photos look more in balance with the background ambient light. But sometimes it's a bit too bright and can make the environment a bit darker than I want and make the person I'm photographing look too much like there's a spotlight on them. I have one particular photo I took where I think the balance is perfect but I can't remember what my flash power was.

Anyway, my point is this. My flash is manual only (Lightpix FlashQ Q20ii) but the company also makes a TTL version called the X20. Twice the price of mine! However it's only for Sony and Fuji cameras and I'm hoping they do one for my leaf shutter Ricoh GRIII. I won't consider any other flashes because the Lightpix flashes and trigger are as small, light and discrete as it gets.

By using TTL, am I right in thinking it sorts out the correct flash power and gives me correct flash exposure based on my aperture, flashing not too bright and not too dark, thus taking the guesswork out of it?

Merlin5's gear list:Merlin5's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a6600 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +1 more
Fujifilm X20 Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow