(Some) Images disappeared from SD card - Lumix G9

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg VdB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,647
(Some) Images disappeared from SD card - Lumix G9

Hi all,

I've run into a weird issue with my G9 and was wondering if someone else might have experienced something similar. I'd like to note here that I've been shooting with digital cameras for 20 years and know my way around both software and hardware - 'turning it off and on again' won't do the trick

The issue: this morning I went out for some woodlands photography, and when I got home, none of the images I took showed up on the SD-card.

Here's a detailed description of events:

- Yesterday, I formatted the SD-card in-camera and went out to shoot some images, which remained and still are accessible on the card

- This morning, I went out again with the same set-up and took around 100 photo's without any issues

- I know the images got written to the SD-card, since I reviewed images while I was out in the woods. For instance, I shot a panorama sequence of about 5 shots and reviewed those in-camera

- I didn't perform a 'Delete all images' or 'Format card' in-camera, since all of yesterday's (unprotected) images are still there

- Back home, I inserted the SD-card in a card reader and opened the folder using Explorer. Only yesterday's images showed up!

- After making sure the images had not ended up in the recycling bin (they hadn't), I looked for 'hidden files' (none were found) and ran a recovery program (Recuva), but neither of those actions were able to locate the lost images.

- Returning the SD-card to my camera, again only yesterday's images showed up. When I then took a test image on that very same SD-card, it got written to the card and later showed up in Windows Explorer without issue.

I'm at a real loss as to what caused the problem - anybody else ever experienced something similar, with the G9 or another camera? Any tips, tricks or random thoughts are welcome.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Greg Van den Bleeken
www.pbase.com/gbleek
vimeo.com/vdbphotography
Take photographs *you* want to look at. Take photographs you want to *look* at. (Ed Leys)

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow