What do you all think of my quoting template?

Started Nov 30, 2022 | Discussions thread
amateurphotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,416
Re: What do you all think of my quoting template?

ampimagedotcom wrote:

Will Faulkner wrote:

I have been told by other pros to charge for time in half day and full day increments. In the past I generally charged per image...

Rather than ask my clients to pay me for 'my time & expenses' in exchange for the Rights to use the images, I would just let them know what the fee would be for me to produce and then provide them with the number of images that they said they needed, for them to use for what they said they needed to use them for...

.. so they could clearly see what they would actually get (from me) for that amount of money.

Upon nearing the end of the half day on the job I realised that due to the customer not properly understanding the scope of work at the quoting stage we are now looking at more like 15 photos shot and edited. So that's a now a full 8 hour day of labour plus retouching.

If at some point, the client asked for more than I had originally quoted them for, then I would send them a 2nd Quote to let them see what the fee would be...

.. based on that new information.

"Quote is valid for 14 days from the date of issue.
A purchase order or signed estimate AND 50% of the estimate total is due upon booking.
Job cancellation within 72 hours = 25% of fees, plus all incurred expenses. Job cancellation within 48 hours = 50% of fees, plus all incurred expenses. Job cancellation within 24 hours = 100% of fees, plus all incurred expenses.
Booked jobs will automatically cancel 2 months after booking date without refunds. Day rate is calculated in 4 hour block increments and will be reflected in the final billing. Final billing will reflect actual labour and expenses.
All rights not specifically granted in writing, including copyright, remain the exclusive property of Will Faulkner Photography. All payments are non-refundable.

All photos may be used for my website portfolio and social media platforms, unless otherwise notified by the client prior to the shoot."

I would print my 'Terms & Conditions ' on the back or attach it to the email, along with the Quotes and Invoices.

The 'Terms of payment' is printed on the front of the Quotes and Invoices, e.g. Cash on delivery (C.O.D)... because "NO USE MAY BE MADE OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS UNTIL THE INVOICE IS PAID IN FULL."

14 days validity of quote - the duration depends on the nature of the shoot, you don't want to be spending time issuing another quote each time the shoot is delayed. e.g. the delay could be due to weather, or the main person is not available.   So the validity duration should reflect the likelihood of changes, and the need for you to keep on sending them an updated quote just because you have gone past the 14 days.  BTW clarify if calendar or working days:)

How you structure the quote also depends on the type of shoot and outputs, e.g. fashion shoot for 1 photo could take half a day.  Event/sports shoots usually paid by the hour, but you can stipulate an upper limit to the amount of photos delivered (quantity agreed beforehand), over that agreed quantity would be extra at a set rate "additional fee - rate per photo or 5-10 photos, etc.   Architecture/interior/product photography tend to be by photo quantity, rather based on your time on the job.  So to me, the type of shoot governs the way how you would structure the fees.

This is interesting:  "NO USE MAY BE MADE OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS UNTIL THE INVOICE IS PAID IN FULL."   .  My own experience, clients tend to need to use the photos immediately, either for social media or for their marketing to win other jobs, and typically their account department can't sort out the payment immediately as payments are often done at the end of the month.  Large corporations typically need 30 calendar days as their is a paperwork trail to get payment, e.g. signed off by bosses, etc.  You maybe able to apply the above clause for individual private clients who can either just give cash or bank transfer quickly.  For companies, I do ask them beforehand their payment duration before i write it in a contract.

When preparing quotation, add on "Additional fees " - eg. rate for overtime, rate for extra X amount of photos, rate for retouch, etc.    I sometimes add "Optional Tasks" e.g. offering the client something they never thought of, e.g. when doing an architectural shoot with mirrorless camera, you can offer drone service.     By doing this, you don't need to submit another quotation just because of say 1 hour extra work on location.

My big advice is to communicate with the client if anything is unclear when you are preparing your quotation.  Just be transparent.  As mentioned in past forums, I don't use lengthy T&C's and just use layman terms.  Contractually I may be exposed by doing this, but I have been able to develop good relationship with clients and never had a problem. It's about how far you want to go to manage the risk.

Hope this helps

amateurphotographer's gear list:amateurphotographer's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7S III Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a1 Fujifilm GFX 50S II +64 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow