Phase One XF and Hasselblad H5D/H6D lens/body and sync speeds

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Maxim Dupliy
Maxim Dupliy Forum Member • Posts: 73
Phase One XF and Hasselblad H5D/H6D lens/body and sync speeds

Hello colleagues, I posted same question in Studio Lighting forum yesterday, so replies there yet, so posting here.

I want to ask you sort of summarize from your memory if you know both systems as for their shutter speeds and it's advantages for your photography.

1.Is that right that XF has leaf shutter in body, so it can go up to 1/4000? With any lens, even non blue ring?

And, does H5/H6 can go up to 1/1600 as it's max speed as it's leaf shutter built into lens?

2. Flash sync speed. So, as I understand, when used with flashes,

H5D/H6D can go up to 1/800 sync speed with flash(not with PocketWizard), Is it only with Elinchrom, Profoto and Broncolor systems?

while XF can go up to 1/4000 ? is it with any lens?, Hasselblad as well as Schneider-Kruznach?

3. Does it matter 1/4000 of XF (shutter curtain) in case you are anyway freezing with flash t.01 speed, so where it's a benefit, in case it is? Otherwise, 1/800 of Hasselblad isn't a problem. Anyway , freezing with XF with the Leaf shutter built into camera(as a shutter curtain) is a question for me as why to, if you are using fast flashes, with t.01 shutter speeds 1/2500 and faster. Can XF sync with flashes as well for 1/4000, or it goes down in case of using flash?

4. Can you do tilt shift with HCD lens or only HC(the older gen. lenses) without getting vignetting? What about Phase one XT as a comparison? I saw the Alpa lenses that cost like a used car. So what are the options.

5. Any limitations with Hassleblad regular(non digital)/vs. new gen. digital lens or old Phase one lenses? Any benefits with Schneider Kruznach LS/Phase one and new blue ring Phase one lenses?

6. Tell me what is the most important feature to you in your studio as for these camera systems, when shooting tabletop products as well as people in motion. Is it flash sync speed or regular shutter speed limit?

7 . What are any other benefits to you, in case you did try both systems? I'm talking about crop sensors like IQ50 vs -50c. I read that Hasselblad's focus is better(even H5d) as well as handling. Maybe something else, like colors rendition, that is more important to you, or tethering capabilities (when clients are with you on the set), maybe shadow/highlights recovery (I hope you don't need that in controlled studio environment), lens quality of lens price.

8. Did you test image quality and details of one of those 2 systems with the of the regular 35mm cameras like D850/ Z7 or Sony AyRIV or Canon R5, as they have 45/45/60mp - roughly same mp count, and what do you think the IQ50/ H 50c sensor can give more, for being MF modular system.

9. Fuji announced 2 tilt shift lenses. So, do you think the modular system of Has./Phase. is still better? (in terms of regular and flash sync speed, quality/details and any other aspect)

I'm getting back doing product photography and portraits (stopped doing that 9 years ago and now decided to get back to it again)

Please correct me in a summarized way, Thank you for reading, hope your answer can also be a benefit for future readers that also consider doing studio photography but are not novice to photography with 5-10 years of experience.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow