Fuji HEIF file format doesn't work with Macs?! What the heck!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jfoley Forum Member • Posts: 97
Fuji HEIF file format doesn't work with Macs?! What the heck!

I am an avid Fujifilm shooter, almost always using the Fuji JPEG engine and wonderful color science built into the cameras.  I do minor editing on my Mac, usually with the Apple "Photos" app, and have been very happy with it.
I just upgraded to the Fuji X-T5, in part because it supported the new HEIF file format, which creates smaller, better image files (retaining 10 bits per channel colors, instead of 8-bit with JPEG).

Unfortunately, the HEIF files out of the X-T5 are basically unusable on my Mac. They can't be edited correctly, or store correctly in the Photos file system or iCloud.

This is really odd since Apple pioneered the HEIF format (with the iPhone and the rest of the Apple universe), but the Fuji implementation of HEIF doesn't work on the Apple platform well at all.

Does anyone know what the problem is, and if there are any potential solutions?

This is a huge disappointment, to me at least, as I was looking forward to adopting a more modern file format (HEIF) across the board.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNo
JNo
JNR
JNR
JNR
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow