G16 For Macro Photography

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pete E New Member • Posts: 4
G16 For Macro Photography

I have a G16 which I would like to use for Marco photography, specifically for photographing small coins of around 8mm 3/8" in diameter...

I realise that a DSLR with a macro lens along with the appropriate sized copy stand is probably the best option, but I am looking for a compact set up that won't take much room on a windowsill.

What I have so far is:

G16 and adaptors for 58mm filter. (Digital zoom disabled in menus)

CS320 compact copy stand plus quick detach plate.

+3 Marumi close up lens.

Remote release.

The problem I am having is that I still can't get the subject to fill the frame.

I go into the Macro mode and set the zoom to its widest setting. However, when I do this, to get focus, I have no working distance between the coin and the close up lens...This is causing me issues with lighting the coin...

If I move the camera back to get say a 4" working distance, I end needing to use the zoom and then I have problems with the close focus distance.

I have tried the manually controlled focus option, but there seems to be set focus ranges that relate directly to the zoom being used..

I feel I am making a basic mistake somewhere and not setting things up correctly...

I also wondered if I need a lens that allows me to set the optical zoom to maximum, and at the same time, allows the camera to achieve focus at about 4" if such a thing exists?

If anybody could walk me through setting up for shooting small coins ie distance camera to coin, and the various settings on the camera, that would be much appreciated..

Regards, Peter

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G16
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow