I messed up a friend's PC

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 19,543
I messed up a friend's PC

A friend brought me a Lenovo Ideacentre 310s Windows 10 PC to try  to improve.  She bought it for her brother, who needs assisted care and basically just watches Youtube videos on it.   It was horribly slow for a number of reasons, including only 4GB of RAM and and an HDD.

I had a spare 480GB SSD, so I slowly cloned the HDD boot drive over a USB connection and swapped in the SSD.   Definitely got faster - up to 'almost bearably slow'.

I had major problems getting Win10 22H2 to install, and I ended up trying to set the PC back to compatibility mode and turned off Secure Boot.

This seems to be a mistake, and I'm not sure how to recover from it.

The old login was a 4-digit PIN.   After disabling Secure Boot (including setting things back to factory default for Secure Boot), I lost the PIN value for the only user account.

I can't get the PIN back, or log into the PC now.    In order to set up a new PIN I must log into Microsoft, but nobody knows the password, and the only method that might work to reset it includes sending a text to the brother's cell phone, who is currently in the hospital.

I'm looking for a way to recover that doesn't involve me swapping the old HDD back in - which might not work anyone considering the bios changes I've made.

Ideas?

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +45 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow