Worm holes in my Z7 in-camera raw conversions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZapperVT Senior Member • Posts: 2,059
Worm holes in my Z7 in-camera raw conversions

I was testing my lenses for purple fringing with the trees in my backyard against an overcast sky. I was shooting raw and I wanted to see what a jpg conversion looked like, so I ran one in camera. I was shocked by what I found - worms have been eating my jpegs!

Raw image on left, in-camera raw conversion on right, 200% magnification.

Closer view of above.

This is from a Z7 with 24-120mm @ 24mm, f/4. Camera firmware version is the latest 3.50. The in-camera raw processing settings were: norm quality large jpg, direct sunlight white balance, no exposure comp, standard picture control, ISO NR off, sRGB, normal vignette control, ADL off, diffraction compensation off. I've experimented with most of these settings with no change in the results.

Unlike the purple fringing issue I was investigating, this problem is clearly driven by overexposure of the sky. With one stop less exposure the worm holes mostly go away, and there is no sign of them with two stops less exposure.

Same scene, -1 stop exposure. No worm holes.

There is no sign of this problem when I convert the same raw files with NX Studio or LRC. It is only with the in-camera NEF (RAW) processing function that I see these artifacts.

Has anyone else ever encountered these strange artifacts?

Full image

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Canon EOS R7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +14 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow