A7RIVA- jitter when using magnify focus, please help!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Butteredtoast Junior Member • Posts: 31
A7RIVA- jitter when using magnify focus, please help!

Hi folks,

My A7RivA has been exhibiting some strange behavior when using the magnify focus function and I’d like to get some advice before I decide to send it in for repair /replacement.

Namely, I’m using adapted and manual focus only lenses (Voigtlander m mount and a Loxia 50mm) and when zoomed in for critical focus, the image in the EVF will start stabilized (steady shot is on) and then suddenly will start to jitter/wobble making it difficult to focus.

Sometimes this happens for a split second, at other times it shakes incessantly until I jerk the camera in one direction or another and it stabilizes again. My take is that the steadyshot function is misfiring and overcompensating. Luckily the images shot are always sharp, so steadyshot is ultimately working, but it’s distracting having your viewfinder flitter about when focusing. 
I have tried factory resetting the camera, and changing the steadyshot option to manual and to the correct focal length with little success. I’ve also cleaned the contacts on the Loxia and the camera in case there’s some issue with the connection with no luck. Strangely, setting the focus assist to ON, focusing so it zooms in and then turning it off, seems to mitigate the problem for a while, but it always tends to come back.

any advice on this is welcome!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow