Topaz disk bloat... Again.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Redcrown Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Topaz disk bloat... Again.

Back in August, 2021, we had this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65445657 about Adobe+Topaz causing potential disk bloat in a system folder called "boost_interprocess". The take away was to turn off "file logging" in the Topaz plugins. That seemed to work, as Topaz files were then overwritten instead of duped, so bloat was kept to a minimum.

Since then I've upgraded everything: Windows, Photoshop, and Topaz apps. Now I'm finding some bloat again. I discovered over 4 GB of Topaz junk in the boost_interprocess folder, which is significantly more than under old software versions back in 2021.

Files are still being overwritten with each execution of Topaz plugins, but every plugin creates 4 files in spite of file logging being turned off. The size of those files is dependent on image dimensions, but (strangely) not dependent on bit depth.

For example: My 6720 x 4480 pixel images creates 4 boost_interprocess files of 58,871 KB each. The files are the same number (4) and size for every Topaz Plugin I have: Sharpen, Denoise, Photo AI, Adjust, and Mask.

The boost_interprocess files can safely be deleted after using any Topaz plugin, but neither Topaz or Photoshop do that. So you have to do it yourself. Wise to do before making a system backup to save several gigabytes and time.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow