My story up to the Sony Alpha 1

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Umberto Lira
Umberto Lira New Member • Posts: 3
My story up to the Sony Alpha 1

The sony a1 is my main work machine for a year now, previously I used not only another machine, but I used a totally different camera system, I used to use a Lumix G9 for my wildlife and nature work and at the same time a fujifilm GFX50R for work where a higher image quality is required, such as advertising work, corporate portraits, fine art, among other things.

Within this user experience I was very limited by the respective limitations of the machines I used, the G9 on the one hand was spectacularly fast and reliable, but the ISO performance of the micro 4/3 sensors eventually forced me to buy larger lenses. brighter and more expensive, which in the long run made me understand that I was not gaining as much weight because of the cost that I had the quality of, for example:

- Lumix/Leica 200mm f2.8
-Lumix/Leica 42.5 f1.2
- Lumix/Leica 12mm f1.4

Lenses that, although spectacularly sharp, due to their respective costs, made me consider the real advantages in my work compared to fullframe alternatives.

In the second case, which eventually was a test of getting into a photographic system with better image quality, was to buy the GFX50R, a camera that has an exceptionally good sensor, exceptional color depth, and excellent dynamic range, but which The main problem was that it only had contrast autofocus, a function that, although not slow, did not allow me to work comfortably, in addition to the fact that when trying to integrate into the GFX optics system, I saw the alternatives limited, both due to the small number of telephoto lenses and angular optics.

In the process of looking for machines, I went through Canon, Nikon and finally Sony, and although they all had machines with similar features, I finally ended up with a range of machines that could meet my needs between speed of operation, versatility and comfort, such as on the other hand an excellent image quality.

I finally ended up with two main options that were essentially the same but focused on two quite different ways of working:

-Sony a1
-Nikon Z9

These two options allowed me for a similar price range to have the best of excellent image quality and exceptionally fast operation, in addition to having stacked sensors allowed me to forget about the useful life of the mechanical shutter, both machines allowed me a hybrid use that allowed me to unite my work both as photography and video.

Finally, as you can understand from the name of this review, I chose the Sony a1 and it really wasn't because it was better than the Z9 as a machine in itself, given the impressive similarities, but rather because of the optical park, personally I was seduced by four camera lenses (200-600mm G), (135mm GM), (50mm GM), (14mm GM).

These optics are exceptional and unique both in their performance and in how they are, and they managed to keep the price and weight relatively low compared to the Nikon Z system. Also, as a last argument, it had minor details that were key to me, such as being able to reduce the size of the lens. the machine to that of a standard Mirrorless without the use of the vertical grip, without losing so much battery life in contrast to those of the Z9, (450 in the case of the a1) and (700 in the case of the Z9), that it could It may seem like a lot, but considering that we have half the size and weight for each battery and that each Sony NPFZ100 battery costs half, I don't think there is any doubt that if we compare in equal conditions, (2xNPFZ100=900APP), Sony is much more Efficient in relation to the useful life of the batteries and their duration. In addition, in the Sony a1 we have a viewfinder that, in my opinion, is much more impressive when looking through it and very important (and finally), we have a mechanical shutter that supports us for the most extreme conditions for our photographs, in addition to allowing us to take flash shots (without HSS) up to 1/500 in APS-C mode and for video, S-Cinetone, an ideal profile for fast recordings with spectacular color, much more efficient LOG profiles than those used by Nikon, which allow us to get the most out of our image without the use of RAW*.

Personally I think that the most favorable argument in the case of the Nikon Z9 is the sale price, which is 1000 dollars less than the Sony a1, having a battery almost twice as large, it has an integrated grip, which in Sony will cost you app 350 dollars, integrates internal RAW recording and a much better monitor than the Alpha a1.

Finally, this was my case, this was because I made the decisions that led me to the Sony a1.

Umberto Lira's gear list:Umberto Lira's gear list
Sony a1 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Sony a1
50 megapixels • 3 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Jan 26, 2021
Umberto Lira's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon Z9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow