Wildlife starter camera end 2022

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
canyson22 New Member • Posts: 23
Wildlife starter camera end 2022

I have recently decided to get a new camera, whose main purpose will be wildlife photography and maybe videography. However, I would also like to use it as a general-purpose camera, for example on holiday (the size is less of a problem, since I carry a backpack with me most of the time anyway).

My background:
I currently have a sony dsc-hx90v and recently started taking pictures of some birds around the house. While eating for example I spot a bird, walk outside to make a few pictures, suddenly realizing I have busy for 2+ hours... oops ;-). However, it is very difficult to get good looking images because either the ISO is too high, or the shutter speed is too low. Some part is likely me, but I am also convinced that the before mentioned camera is likely not up to the task. I also like to make pictures of landscapes, insects and flowers, but I am mainly interested in wildlife (not only birds but they seam the most accessible around here). I am also planning to make more deliberate trips to some nature reserves in our neighborhood for wildlife photography. I understood that 2500,- euro is a nice starting point and my limit is approximately 3000,- euro. But less is always nice, leaves some money for the bear fund ;-).

With the above in mind, I did some research and narrowed it down to the following (other suggestions are also welcome, there are some bundles that could result in a lower price, but I did not mention those to keep it "simple", prices are in euros)
option a:

• SONY A6600 (1400,-) NOTE: I read some mixed reviews on it, which is why I have not looked at lenses for it jet

option b:

• CANON EOS R7 (1470,-)
  • CANON RF 100-400MM F/5.6-8 IS USM (625,-) or SIGMA 150-600MM F/5-6.3 DG OS HSM I CONTEMPORARY CANON (1000,-)
  • CANON RF-S 18-150MM F/3.5-6.3 IS STM (580,-) or CANON EF-S 18-135MM F/3.5-5.6 IS NANO-USM (430,-)
  • If required: CANON EF - RF MOUNT ADAPTER (115,-)

option c:

• PANASONIC LUMIX DC-G9 (940,-)
  • PANASONIC MFT 100-300MM F/4.0-5.6 LUMIX G VARIO MARK II (540,-) or PANASONIC MFT 100-400MM F/4.0-6.3 POWER O.I.S. LEICA DG VARIO ELMAR (1350,-)
  • PANASONIC MFT 14-140MM F/3.5-5.6 ZWART HD POWER O.I.S. (500,-)

However, I am still not sure about the following:

1. Is the sony indeed a lesser choice for the above use case?
  2. Taking into account the crop factor, the telephoto lenses are approximately up to 600 or 800/900 full frame. If I understand correctly 600 should be sufficient, but some people also recommend more. Given the use case above and the selection of lenses, is there a large advantage of going bigger or would you suggest to starting with the smaller lenses?
  3. In general, the canon R7 and panasonic G9 are quite similar in spec, with the most important difference being the larger sensor (+ newer sensor tech) and animal eye tracking of the R7. However, I also understood that the G9 had a very good sensor, and I am therefore wondering how well it hold up against the R7 especially considering its age?
  4. There are currently and likely for at least some time, no 3rd party RF lenses available. How does this impact the availability and future upgradability of that compared to the G9 (for me this appears like a mayor downside of the R7)?
  5. For the G9 only the 100-300 is not weather sealed, but for the R7 only the sigma lens is weather sealed. It tends to rain quite often where I live and I am not intending (at least for now) to go out in the rain, but would it be bad to take a few pictures if it starts to drizzle without a weather sealed lens?
  6. What general purpose lenses would go well with the cameras above.

Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Canon EOS R7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a6600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow