A few arid region locals from Western Australia

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarkDavo
MarkDavo Senior Member • Posts: 2,422
A few arid region locals from Western Australia

I've returned from a recent three-week trip to SE Western Australia which included two weeks at the Birdlife Australia-owned Eyre Bird Observatory .

The final 10kms to the observatory is a sandy track over dunes where we came upon what soon became known as the North Track "Hotspot".  True rarities such as Scarlet-chested Parrot, Copper-backed Quail Thrush and Shy Heathwren were in this place and for the rest of the visit we were able to photograph them, some in a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

1. Male Gilbert's Whistler

2. White-eared Honeyeater.  Beautiful plumage colours

3. Male Copper-backed Quail Thrush.  This male was calling from its perch and allowed me to approach and manoeuver to get a better shot.

4. Female Scarlet-chested Parrot.  One of eight that visited the site most days.

5. Spotted Scrub-wren. Very common but always interesting to observe and photograph

6. Male Blue-breasted Fairy-wren.  One of my favourite FWs.

7. Grey Shrike-thrush with beetle.  An otherwise drab-coloured bird but one of the most prolific songsters of the region.

8. White-fronted Honeyeater.  Very common in this region and always chasing food competitors.

9. Welcome Swallow leaving its perch above the bird bath.

10. Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike.  Another lovely songster

11.  Major Mitchell's Cockatoo.  Another colourful inhabitant of this arid region

12. Male Scarlet-chested Parrot. This male fluttered around my head then settled on the branch for about five minutes.

13. Female White-winged Triller with berries.

14.  Dusky Woodswallow fledgling struggling with a grub

15.  Male Major Mitchell's Cockatoo.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Mark
Wouldn't be dead for quids

MarkDavo's gear list:MarkDavo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Canon EOS R5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow