Trying to understand Teleconverters

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JasonS70 Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Trying to understand Teleconverters

Hi,

I'm after some advice on using a teleconverter. I have a 1.5x teleconverter and it works well. What I am having trouble with is understanding what aperture to use

I know that it affects the amount of  light getting through what I don't understand is when they say a F2.8 lens becomes a F5.6 lens. Well I sort of do as in the light getting through is equivalent to that if you were at F5.6.

So what I am trying to get my head around is that my lens is best when shot at F7.1. So when I use the teleconverter should I leave it at F7.1, knowing that the amount of light getting through will now be equivalent to shooting at F9 (I think) and I will have to adjust shutter/ISO to manage. Or do I change the aperture and shoot at F5.6? Won't the aperture size be the same and if I move to F5.6 won't that then not be F7.1, the f-stop my lens works best at hence not as good quality?

The teleconveter I use is a dumb one, as in it does not register the teleconverter as being there but everything else works fine, auto focus etc

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Jason

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow