Mold spores and cameras

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,747
Mold spores and cameras

So this may come across as a bit of an odd question and something I haven't though too much about, but i do a fair amount of urban exploration (abandoned buildings) many of which may have a lot of dust and mold, and was wondering what, if any, possible negative impact mold might have on a camera? I'm aware of the dust concern and clean my sensors regularly (on my urbex camera, usually about once every 4 months), but didn't know if mold spores getting into cameras could lead to more severe issues than just dust?

I do change lenses while on location so this does make me wonder a bit as sometimes there is slight drafts/wind and I do my best to try to shield the camera while changing lenses (like you would in a normal environment). Usually the cameras are kept in cool dry environment, and many mold that may be around is generally in a dust-like form (nothing damp/wet) but could be floating in the air.

Since the BF/CM deals go for another few days, I'm contemplating getting something like a Z5 (I have a Z6 II I'm using now, and have my Z7 but would rather not use that for Urbex due to it's replacement cost being a bit more; plus that's my main camera, and the Z6 II is a backup; the 24MP resolution is plenty though for urbex so I don't need 45MP).

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +8 more
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow