Honest question about auto focus

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MotoDave Regular Member • Posts: 133
Honest question about auto focus

Short story,  I've been shooting Nikon DX for years 7200/5600 and I've been very happy with them for my primary use which is landscape, and a little wildlife. I also dabble in motorsport photography and some birds which has left me wanting better AF.
After doing mounds of research I decided to try Sony A6600 based upon it's reputation in the AF department. And really, it is truly amazing. Unfortunately there are other things about the Sony that had me missing Nikon, so I bought a Z50 with kit lenses, but also for use with my existing lenses.  In short I like the Nikon better in most areas with a huge exception to the AF. I knew it wasn't "as good" as the Sony, but honestly it's not even close. I found myself getting frustrated really quick. Was shooting some slow motorcycles yesterday in AFC with both single point and dynamic area and was very disappointed with the amount of shots where it focused on the background, or when on the bike it couldn't keep up with the speed. 
I'm seriously considering keeping both systems for the time being.
My point in bringing this up is honestly NOT to stir up a debate or start an argument....but I'm really curious why Nikon seems so far behind in this.
I'm not a computer guy, so explain it to someone with very basic knowledge, but is it a matter of hardware? Processing power? Or is it really a matter of experience with algorithms and such?

-- hide signature --
Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow