LX100 ii discontinued?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ronniemac Regular Member • Posts: 444
LX100 ii discontinued?

I've been hunting around for the LX100 ii and found that it is out of stock in most UK camera stores and even directly from Panasonic's own web site. So I asked a reputable retailer if they would be getting it back in stock soon. After making enquiries he informed me that as of October LX100 ii had been discontinued and that no new stock was available. Only a small number in total were still available across the country so I have now ordered one and will be collecting it tomorrow.

Initially I considered waiting for a replacement but the question is; are Panasonic going to release a replacement with the same user interface, maybe an 'LX200' with articulated screen and improved sensor etc? So I carried out a little online research and sadly concluded that this is not going to happen. The reasons for this are many and varied. They include:

• There is reluctance on the part of Panasonic to replace it because the LX100 ii did not achieve expected sales results.
  • There is a continuing decline in compact camera sales attributed to improvements in phone cameras.
  • The only new MFT sensor in the pipeline is a 20mp back illuminated stacked sensor for improved video and processing speed performance.
  • The exquisite traditional user interface is sadly not proving as popular with enough youngsters (under 50 year olds!) as anticipated.
  • The increasing popularity of relatively low cost full frame sensors in compact Interchangeable Lens Camera bodies.
  • And perhaps the self fulfilling nature of prophecies, e.g. Tony Northrup's "Micro Four-Third is Dead" .  It's not, but some of what he says is valid and this sort of video does not inspire confidence in potential MFT customers.

If I'm wrong, and Panasonic release a replacement for the LX100 ii, fantastic! I'll upgrade. But if not, I will be happy to have at least bought the current model while it's still available.

If anyone is planning to buy the LX100 ii, best to act now if you can. It won't be in camera stores for much longer.

Ronnie

Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow