Sell the R5 and get an R7 and R? Crazy?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mraifman Junior Member • Posts: 40
Sell the R5 and get an R7 and R? Crazy?

Hi all! A bit about me because I feel the background is useful for advice/input.

I shoot two things: wildlife opportunistically (often small birds) and landscapes. I'm a daily shooter or there abouts and frequently go at sunrise. I have an R5, RF 100-500, EF 300 f/2.8 mk II, rf 35mm f/1.8, and RF 14-35 f/4, along with RF and EF 1.4x TCs. For my bird photography, I find myself always using crop mode on the R5 and also wishing for more subject differentiation and nicer blurred backgrounds. I tend to feather the shutter rather than punch it for wildlife.For landscapes, I have zero complaints with the R5. Budget is a bit of a challenge, so adding cost is not a good idea. Rather, adjusting kit is how I'm thinking about things.

So, here's the question: has anyone considered selling their R5 (~$3k or a bit more with transferable warranty) and buying two bodies: a R7 for wildlife and R for landscapes. The combined cost is more than $1000 less than the R5 and I'm interested. I have an R7 on order to try as well before choosing, so rest assured I'm not one to buy based solely on internet guidance but I think it's an interesting proposition.

When I think about this, I consider what the combined package of the R7 offers compared to R5 for wildlife/landscape use:

Combo pros wildlife:

-60% more reach or almost double the pixels on subject depending on how you think about it...this makes the R7 + 300 f/2.8 and really interesting wildlife combo especially when combined with the 1.4x TC mk iii for extra reach

- 15 fps mechanical (consider the electronic somewhat unusable bc of rolling shutter) and 15 fps is sufficient for most applications in the field

-precapture seems kind of useful though implementation is not great as per Duade Paton review

Combo cons wildlife:

- that rather loud shutter

- that crappy buffer...only enough for about a second of continuous shooting in RAW; more in CRAW. How often do I shoot a second continuously? Almost never. Maybe I should be though...

- bit more noise however seems that dxo deals with r7 noise well (downloaded some samples and processed and it doesn't feel very different from R5 to be honest)

- lose 4k 120fps video option and instead only full HD. I think this is kind of a wash though because of crop factor

- rolling shutter make silent action shots near impossible

Combo pros landscape:

- zero, unless we call having two bodies as asset

Combo cons landscape:

- drop from 45 to 30 mp resolution

- 1 stop less DR (this is not ideal)

- no IBIS...not sure how valuable this really is for landscape though. I don't really handhold long exposures as is on the R5

Overall:

Price: EOS R refurbished by canon is $900 and new R7 is $1500, so $2400 pre-tax. R5 can be sold for more than that, say $3k to be conservative. So it's certainly cost neutral.

Summary gains: 50% more pixels on subject for wildlife; small fps gain; two purpose specific cameras. Admittedly, I am drawn to the R7 by the potential combo with the 100-500 and the 300mm f/2.8. I think the 300mm f/2.8 is the best wildlife lens for low light that you can handhold at the cost of being too short on full frame, but on a crop...

Summary cons: less dynamic range for landscape and less resolution (this is a concern); some stress about R7 buffer challenges (will be resolved through testing); loss of electronic shutter for wildlife use.

Looking forward to your thoughts and maybe alternative ideas. Here are some of my shots for context of wildlife and landscape.

Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow