Bought an R6 Mk ll today

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
clicknz New Member • Posts: 10
Bought an R6 Mk ll today

I asked a local (Wellington, New Zealand) camera store a couple of days ago if they were expecting any Mk ll's and they let me know that they had ordered 4, but would probably receive only one. Today (Monday 28th Nov., '22) I heard that they had a kit with an RF 24 - 105 f4.0 that they were happy to remove the lens from & sell me as body only.

I had previously bought a few EOS bodies from the same store ( EOS D60, 20D, 5D, 6D, 80D, R & R6) and as I've been shooting progressively more & more video work compared to photography, I decided that the removal of the 30 min video limit, auto focus improvements as well as the wifi improvements justified the purchase.

So far my only notes on the new camera are that it fits in the same Small Rig body cage that the R6 fits in, the photos and video captured with the same profiles seem to match well between R6 & R6 Mk ll, and it seems to have the same annoying HDMI output settings when in video mode, that don't allow an image to be seen on both the camera's LCD screen & the external monitor at the same time.

I believe that if you're recording video to an external monitor/recorder (like an Atomos Ninja V), then it will display an image on both the LCD & monitor. I was desperately hoping (but not expecting) that the new body might return to the ways of the EOS R that allowed images to be viewed on the camera and monitor - which was great. It is possible with the R to still have things like tap to focus and touch control of menu items on the LCD while still having the advantage of a large monitor.

When shooting stills I generally connect to an iPad via wifi and use an app called Shuttersnitch to display image previews. This has worked very well since the EOS 6D (& I tested the Eye-Fi wireless SD card previously), but with each new generation of Canon camera the connection process seems to get better and better, so I'm looking forward to testing the new connection capabilities - including the new 'wired' connection which may prove useful.

Lots of testing to perform before my first client work with the Mark ll.

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow