Do EF lenses perform as well/better on R cameras?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fatdeeman Regular Member • Posts: 224
Do EF lenses perform as well/better on R cameras?

Just a simple question, really.
Let's limit it to the R7 and R10 for simplicity sake.
Do EF lenses work as well on newer R bodies? I hear mixed messages, but I can't see why they wouldn't be any worse now that mirrorless cameras use phase detect and not contrast detect and bearing in mind that Canon obviously know their own tech inside out so are best placed to make the two systems work together.
The reason I ask is that I'm long overdue a camera upgrade, and for the longest time, I would have most likely jumped ship to Sony because let's be honest, they pulled ahead significantly for a few years.
But now Canon have caught right up in every area, it seems to make more sense to stick with Canon and use the collection of lenses I already have vs going Sony and spending a lot of money on more lenses or making do with decent but not amazing performance using an EF to E adapter.
I like what I see with the 2 new APS-C bodies, Obviously AF-S is excellent on both Sony and Canon cameras these days, and the tracking on the Canon is easily as good if not better than similar Sony bodies, IQ is excellent including pulling up shadows (I know some people find this pointless, but I find it fantastic for single shot landscapes at the beach during and just after sunset etc)
So basically, will the Canon lenses work well on the R10 or R7? I know they will be superb in AF-S but do they track as well/better compared to a native body, too? (not that the 60D is a high benchmark)
I have a wonderful copy of the 70-300mm L which I'd like to keep hold of and it always tracked nicely on the 60D considering it's modest abilities.
I also have cracking copies of the 55-250 and Sigma 17-50mm. I know neither of those two are great at tracking on any body, but they are nice lenses for general use.
Going to a Canon body would definitely make for a simpler and less costly route, providing that 70-300 is going to perform.

fatdeeman's gear list:fatdeeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon IXUS 310 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-5N +21 more
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS R10 Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow