A very happy camper - I solved my too dark EVF problem

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rudy Pohl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,058
A very happy camper - I solved my too dark EVF problem

I'm a brand new Canon user who recently bought an R5 after 12 years of being a Nikon DSLR user. (I bought my first Nikon SLR film camera in 1978 so I'm a long timer.)

Those who have read my posts over the last few weeks know that I've been struggling with a serious problem which is that I can't see properly through the viewfinder, especially on bright sunny days. Regardless of my settings it's always way too dark for me to see well because of a cornea condition I have. When I'm shooting white birds like Snow Geese and Sea gulls on full sun days I have to drop the exposure almost 2 stops to not blow out the highlights and when I do this it's so dark that I can barely see a thing through the EVF.

Today, after 3 weeks of struggling, I serendipitously fell into the solution! In the SHOOT7 menu I disabled the Exposure Simulation feature and suddenly the viewfinder started behaving like a DSLR viewfinder. The brightness no longer fluctuated up and down with every scene or lighting change or every shutter speed, aperture or ISO setting change. What a wonderful thing this is for me. I almost jumped out of my skin with joy at the time and spent the next hour just trying it out. It was fabulous!

Cheers,
Rudy

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow