Are zooms as sharp as primes now or what?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Funkmon
Funkmon Regular Member • Posts: 403
Are zooms as sharp as primes now or what?

Hey guys I haven't used many zooms for years and years, and I picked up a couple old 4/3rds lenses, as some of you know, some of the big boy zooms, for hella cheap. I also picked up the 12-40 Pro lens.

But, anyway, I was taking a look at these photos of my sister's dog, which was the first time I used the 50-200 2.8 as a portrait lens, and I was astonished. That one isn't a pro zoom but it's obviously supposed to be optically very good. The 12-40 pro zoom is also pixel sharp. Here, look.

That's wide open at 200. I shoot everything wide open, because I'm a heathen, but look at these shots from this week with known sharp primes.

I'll just zoom in on this one you don't need more.

I'm wondering if we're maybe giving new photogs bad gear advice, suggesting primes are sharper than zooms. It looks like as long as you get a higher quality zoom, it's about the same!

Funkmon's gear list:Funkmon's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN E-P7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 25mm F1.2 +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow