Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 contemporary

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
David Garth
David Garth Regular Member • Posts: 466
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 contemporary

I’m an old retired part-time professional. I’m thinking about buying the just released Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 lens for my Fujifilm X-T4 and X-S10. I’ve never owned a Sigma lens before.  My primary motivation, because I’m 77, is to carry less weight and bulk. I would use this lens for travel, landscapes and informal portraits while traveling

In looking at countless reviews of the Sony and Fuji versions on YouTube and in forums, there seems to be such mixed opinions about this lens. Some reviewers rave about it and some are slightly less enthusiastic. I wonder if there is a large amount of sample-to-sample variation.

I’m especially concerned about image sharpness across the frame.  I wouldn’t be happy with the lens if there weren’t  at all focal lengths at least one optimum aperture that provided excellent sharpness from center to corners. I don’t expect or need this same corner quality wide open if the central area is sharp.

Any users with opinions?

-- hide signature --

David Garth

David Garth's gear list:David Garth's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +11 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow