Epson 3880 on windows, software is hopeless?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bolide New Member • Posts: 13
Epson 3880 on windows, software is hopeless?

We have an Epson 3880 that's been only rarely used since we bought it ten years ago. I don't think it's ever needed an ink refill, that's how lightly it's been used. I never used it, and I don't think my wife really understood it well or did any maint.

I wanted to see how it's doing so I ran a nozzle check. It was spotty, so I've performed two series of printer head cleaning operations. After the first set, it was much improved but the yellow still had some skips.

I started checking out the software when I realized that the LED on the unit seemed to not offer some of the basics like a print head cleaning cycle (it does offer the power cleaning under maintenance). The software that's installed seems pitifully inadequate.

Most of the typical printer property options in control panel do nothing (printer properties, printer preferences). If I doubleclick the printer icon, an epson dialog opens but it has nothing I need right now.

The remote panel software does open, but everything I've tried seems to fail, with the typical windows "not responding" message.

I wanted to see if there was new firmware or drivers or updated maint software. The files download, unzip, but nothing seems to work. The firmware file sits there but the remote panel software locks up if I try to select it. The driver software when unzipped carries several folders with lots of files, but no instructions at all. There are several setup64.exe files but they don't seem to do anything when I launch them.

In control panel there is no version listed for either the remote panel or the printer software proper.

Wow, just totally dismal. I've found no trace of anyone reporting issues with the 3880 software, or any guidance.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I can try next?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow