The cost of servicing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photogopinion Regular Member • Posts: 116
The cost of servicing

I came across this a few days ago:

“ [Canon’s] initial charge was $429 to work on the camera based only on my description of the problem -- and apparently without even looking at the camera to assess what was needed to repair it. They weren't even going to start working on the camera until I paid the $429, nor were they willing/able to tell me what they were planning to do that cost $429.”

I’ve promised myself I won’t moan about Sony’s service charges ever again. They replaced my SLT’s screen and cables, and the motherboard, for just a little more than that. (I got an email and a letter detailing what needed to be done with a breakdown of the parts and labour costs.)

(I was a bit miffed when they sent me a second estimate saying the engineers had found a fault in the motherboard, feeling that they might have spotted that the first time, and having paid up for the first, I didn’t really have an option not to pay the second, but comparatively, it looks like a bargain.)

What it costs to repair or service a camera doesn’t get much publicity in any discussions about what to choose; it’s not something I ever thought to factor in I admit,  but if you buy second-hand, it might be worth exploring? Especially as modern digital cameras aren’t usually repairable by high street technicians (assuming you can find one!) like old 35mm film cameras. So what brand is more economical in the long term if your camera does need servicing?

photogopinion's gear list:photogopinion's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 20mm F2.8 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow