Thanksgiving with the E-M1 and the E-P7

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sam Bennett
Sam Bennett Veteran Member • Posts: 4,873
Thanksgiving with the E-M1 and the E-P7

Normally for an "event" I would shoot with two E-M1s, but this time around I brought the new "shiny" thing - my imported E-P7 (typically mated to the Olympus 25/1.8). It was an interesting experiment to see if I would be frustrated shooting with them back to back.

(Note - all photos post-processed in SnapSeed to varying degrees)

I'm sharing my favorite photos without looking at which camera was used. I'm going to guess that I favored the E-M1, but that's probably because it had the 17/1.2 most of the time, which is a great focal length for general purpose photography and the f/1.2 version is one of my favorite lenses ever.

Shooting with either setup in these conditions was fairly satisfying. Both performed fairly well in terms of autofocus and I never felt like I really would have preferred to be shooting with the other. That said, one of the big disadvantages with the E-P7 is that I didn't feel like I could shoot with it in silent shutter mode because of the slow readout rate at the variety of mixed lighting throughout the home. The E-M1 was used 100% in silent shutter mode and didn't suffer from any banding and allowed me to be a bit more discreet.

Last thing I'll say is that I shot with the E-M1 in it's "monochrome" setting for most of the B&W shots, while with the E-P7 I shot in one of the film simulation modes - this was a real mistake since while I don't mind grain in my shots, a lot of these photos were at ISO 6400 and the nose was just out of hand. Thankfully I was shooting RAW, so I simply reprocessed them using the monochrome mode with the problematic shots.

In short, still loving the E-P7 - it's a great addition to my kit!

-- hide signature --

Sam Bennett
Instagram: @swiftbennett

Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN E-P7 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +12 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow