Getting back

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MRCocoa Regular Member • Posts: 133
Getting back

Call this my introduction. I've been using cameras since I was eight years old and had a Kodak box camera that used 220 film. Moved on to a Nikkormat 35mm, then to a Minolta, then to Nikons. First an FM2, then an F3, and finally to a D7000.

My Granddaughter took a course in photography and earned high praise from her professors so the D7000 went to her (and she won't give it back!). I figured a pocket camera would be good enough - and it has been. I've captured some great images with them, but now that I'm printing and framing them for hanging on the walls, I wish I had a better tool.

It's like I'm entering a universe that's alien to me; so much has changed in a short time.

I'm looking at mirrorless cameras because I need to depend heavily on a camera's ability to focus and it seems mirrorless cameras in my target category - advanced amateur - have superior auto focus capabilities.

(I could be wrong. Technology has always been quick to turn my head.)

So... I have a question. If you have skills in composition, exposure, post-processing (I'm a whiz with Lightroom and Photoshop) and can capture a good image, but are new to modern digital cameras, with a budget that can handle a $2,000-$2,500 camera (body only) - and you're passion is for candid, macro and landscape photography - where might you start?

Oh, and I expect this will be the last camera I buy - I'm at that age where I expect it'll outlive me if I don't drop it in the sea.

I'm not curious about the lenses. I understand lenses good enough to muddle through as I build a kit. I'm in the dark about how to choose the right camera (and enter into the right system) for my use and could use and appreciate a few suggestions, please.

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow