White Rhino fooling the subject detection....

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alan Hewitt Photo
Alan Hewitt Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 766
White Rhino fooling the subject detection....

There are instances where subject detection will be fooled. In my experience they are rather extreme. One example was a hippo doing what hippos so often do, sit low in the water. It did find the subject, but jumped between the hippo's nostrils, eye and ear as they appeared fractionally above the water level. It presents an odd 'face' for AI to reliably detect.

Another was this adult white rhino. Again, it is an unusual face but what actually happened in this case was the AI was attracted to a more unusual feature, the circular hole in the ear and also the shadow this cast upon the shoulder area. This feature was why I wanted the shot, not because it fooled the subject detection, but because of the backstory behind it.

In this case, I was orginally in one of my custom modes for animal detection with a lower frame rate. I have another for animal detection with a higher frame rate and two more for different frame rates for birds. As the AI became confused, I dropped it into aperture priority and placed a single AF point over the area between the base of the horn and the eye.

Subject detection is very good, but it'e not perfect and when things don't go to plan, when we are placed in unusual circumstances, we always have to be ready to take over.

-- hide signature --

FUJIFILM UK Ambassador/ X-Photographer
Formatt-Hitech Ambassador
Wildlife Photographer, filmmaker, photo safari & workshop guide, freelance writer.
INSTA1: alanhewittphoto
INSTA2: bts_alanhewittphoto

Alan Hewitt Photo's gear list:Alan Hewitt Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow