Camera manufacturers, the future maybe brighter than you think.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,386
Camera manufacturers, the future maybe brighter than you think.

I became a serious birder in 1984. At that time, I think it is fair to say that birders didn't carry cameras. There were some very well-known published bird photographers who were looked upon as gods. I was using a Canon AE1P at the time, with a 70-210 and took the occasional bird shot but nothing came out of it that I would want to show anyone.

By the time I went digital in 2005 I was starting to see some bird photographers in the field often with some big lenses nearly always a Sigma or Tamron.

In the last 5 years or so birders with decent cameras have been growing exponentially and is reaching a point where it is rarer to see a birder without a camera than it is to see one with a camera. As people realise that they can get results that they only used to see in magazines, the trend will probably continue.

My other passion is aviation and guess what, there has been a similar increase in numbers although camera ownership started at a higher point because even in 1984 it was possible to get half decent flight shots although, well short of the pros.

So, live in my world and you would think that photography and the sale of decent cameras had never been so strong. Yet I am told that the camera is dying because of the mobile phone. Maybe it is but look at a person who wants to photograph their other interests (add motor sport, trains, insects, whales, astronomy, sport and many more) and there is the camera customer.

It seems to me that camera and lens manufacturers have a huge marketplace out there, they just need to forget about the snap shooters and focus their efforts on the people who will be queuing up to buy their cameras and lenses for years.

Incidentally in the bird world, mirrorless is already overtaking DSLRs. The move across seems to be much slower in the aviation arena but it is happening.

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow