Samyang 18mm/F2.8 - Is vignetting that bad or I have a bad sample?

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
maisun New Member • Posts: 22
Samyang 18mm/F2.8 - Is vignetting that bad or I have a bad sample?

I just bought Samyang 18mm/F2.8 lens because I'd like a lightweight ultra wide lens to pair with FE24105 and Sony A7R2 for travel purpose. I read many reviews about Samyang 18mm/F2.8, and I'm aware that I should expect some vignetting for such small ultra wide lens. According to opticallimits the lens is measured to have ~3.4EV (f-stops) at f/2.8. Every review says the vignetting is correctable and the lens is reletively sharp.

When I got the lens, I took some photos of the brick wall in light colour (cloudy weather). The vignetting is shocking to me. As an example below is unprocessed raw at F2.8, the vignetting already causes some colour shift and it's impossible to fully correct it in post-processing. The vignetting is also noticeable even at F8.0 after lens profile correction in Lightroom.

I'm also not impressed with the sharpness of the lens, both centre and corner look softer comparing to FE24105. But I'm most concerned by vignetting, would like to check with owners of this lens is it a general issue with this lens or do I just get a bad copy?

Very much appreciate your feedback!

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow