New in landscape photography and lооking for advice on gears

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Peace_VN
Peace_VN Regular Member • Posts: 325
New in landscape photography and lооking for advice on gears

Dear all,

I am looking for a camera for landscape photography. This is quite a new field for me so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I currently have D500, Pentax k70, and a few old MF film cameras. I used to have ff camera, 5Dii, and 1dsii but long gone. I aim to keep photography for art and joy not aim to be a source of living.

I really enjoyed watching landscape photography from others and thought, Uhm, let's try. The first thing that came to my head is "I need a bigger sensor camera". Maybe medium format? or FF as a minimum. Am I wrong?

I saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_I673zb_6o&ab_channel=MarkDenney

I make me think, is it worth it to put money in a big sensor body? I am sure people buy them for their job or when they need large print. But do I need to have them to make good photos?

My D500 is not too bad but with the 20.2-Mpix APS-C CMOS sensor. BUT it makes me feel "insecure". I know some pro photographers still use 5D II (22.3 MP) for studio shoots and large prints. But it is a FF body.

So, do I really need a FF at least? if it is the case, with a budget of 2500 Euro. I would go for D850 used. I can sell by D500 and keep only D850

for the same money, I can get a Pentax 645D - 40-megapixel mf. I will use this only for landscape and use the D500 for bird and walk around.

What is your thought on this? or should I just play around with D500 and see it for myself? or does the D500 low MP sensor keep me down?

thank you all

Pics from D500 recently

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Pentax 645D Pentax K-70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow