Wildlife with X-H2 and Fuji 150-600

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KoriTx New Member • Posts: 2
Wildlife with X-H2 and Fuji 150-600

I am a recent convert from Sony (a7iv) and just had my first opportunity to use my new gear on a wildlife shoot, so I figured I’d share some reflections and images. 
I switched to Fuji because, while I loved the images from my Sony, I hated the experience of shooting with it. The ergonomics were not quite right and the menus drove me crazy. The weight of the 200-600 was also challenging for me and  I also wanted a lighter system that would give me the option of handholding shots. Anyway, on to my reflections:

1. I had such a blast taking pics! Controls were intuitive and I had no issues going full manual right out of the gate.

2. AF performance on the X-H2 was not what I had been hoping for and dramatically underperformed the Sony (as in my keeper rate was about 1/4 what I am used to).  The camera especially struggled with BIF.  There was absolutely some user error involved with shooting on a new system and there is definitely some fine-tuning on settings I need do to improve performance, but the degree of struggle with AF surprised me and honestly made me wonder if I had made a mistake switching systems.

3. Image quality on my keepers was better than I expected and just lovely to my eye.

4, I was pleasantly surprised by the 150-600. I loved the lighter weight and longer reach with the APS-C system.

5. I’m seriously considering switching to the X-H2S. I loved the crop-ability of the 40 mp, but all the MP in the world doesn’t matter if the camera consistently misses focus.

Anyway, here are a few of my keepers (cropped and rough edits in LR, no deNoise):

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow