Let’s talk about lenses

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 2,470
Let’s talk about lenses

I want to discuss lens design. Specifically, I am interested in talking about the bokeh of lenses, and the race to create lenses that are ever more sharper than previous iterations.

As the megapixel race continues to evolve, it seemingly has an impact on lens design as well. We’re seeing lenses designed with aspherical lenses becoming the new normal. Manufacturing techniques have gotten cheaper, glass molded aspherical lenses, rather than each element hand ground and polished by a technician.

While I appreciate the constant evolution to improve technology and lens design and manufacturing processes, I also can’t overlook something that has been bothering me with the current trend in lens design.

Images are TOO sharp.

But not just too sharp, the quality of the out of focus areas often look ugly, busy, and harsh. To add to this, often times I see images made with an ultra-fast, ultra-sharp lens wide open, and the image looks jarring. The ultra-thin plane of focus is so sharp, and contrasty, followed immediately by the rest of the image out of focus, it looks totally bizarre. It reminds me of something a phone camera does on its “portrait” mode. 
But, I guess this always comes down to that one variable. Money.

I suppose it would be very expensive to mass produce lenses with extra-low dispersion lens elements and other materials with better refractive indexes. Or, less safe, we’ve done away with lead in our lenses.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jxh
jxh
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow