Fuji Focus

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,408
Fuji Focus

What you are about to see is totally my fault.  It is very likely one of the reason that a lot of reviewers and people new to Fuji have trouble achieving accurate focus.

I had been shooting birds in flight and to keep the more erratic flyers in focus I'd changed the AF-C custom setting "Speed Tracking" to 2 while I usually recommend 1.  The reason I don't recommend 2 which makes the camera respond faster is that in low contrast situations it can fail.  This is clearly stated in the manual.

These 4 frames are part of a short burst with subject tracking bird enabled.  Note that swans don't swim very fast, this should be as easy to get sharp as when you photograph a wall.

1)

2)

3)

4)

When this happened the second time I remembered the change I'd made and reverted.  As soon as I set "Speed Tracking" to 1 every image was sharp, even in a long burst.

Not only dose this show the importance of setting up your camera correctly, it also shows that the AF-C settings have an impact while using Subject Tracking.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H2S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II XF 90mm +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow