Carbon tripod similar to Peak Design Travel Tripod but at half the price

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
psartman
psartman Regular Member • Posts: 366
Re: Peak Design Travel Tripod still my go to tripod!

spec68 wrote:

psartman wrote:

Take a look at the Marsace XT-15 for around $200. I got one, sold my PD and am quite happy. I find it to be more steady, quicker to set up and well- 1/3 the price of the PD.

Amazon page says it's weight limit is 6.6lbs. I'm not a proponent of the PD, but it can hold 20lb, so the Marsace is not a real alternative.

Posted weight limits are essentially meaningless- there is no accepted protocol for determining these. I tested the Marsace right next to the Peak Design with a Sony full frame with 24-105 lens. I flicked the camera and made 1/4 and 1/2 second exposures. There was really no difference in the results, and the Marsace just felt more stable and had less flex in the thinner sections of the legs.

And really, what sort of combo do you plan to use that will weigh more than 6.6 lbs? My combo weighs just under 3 lbs. If you plan to use large aperture ultra telephotos, this class of tripod may not be for you.

psartman's gear list:psartman's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow