Help: Sony A7Rlll touch focus

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael W00d Senior Member • Posts: 1,073
Re: Help: Sony A7Rlll touch focus

If you want to select a focus point, focus and take the shot using touchscreen, no, the A7R3 cannot do that. There are various options that can be set in Setup menus 2 and 3, but pre-focusing is not one of them.

Actually, I quite like what it can do. If touchscreen is turned on (Setup>2>Touch operation), you can set the point of focus on the rear screen by tapping it.

That’s not very accurate with a large finger area on a relatively small screen. However, when using the EVF you can move your thumb over the rear screen and the yellow focus square moves around the image. Place it precisely where you want and fire.

I use a different mode. I have touch turned off but set to on/off toggle on button C4 (might be the default?). Then press C4 to turn touchscreen on, move the focus point looking through the EVF, and fire. Or press C4 again to turn off and lock the focus spot at that point in the VF.

Michael W00d's gear list:Michael W00d's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow